Rising majestically above its circular driveway and sculptural gardens, this imposing Spanish Colonial Revival residence, one of the first homes to be built on this Oakland hillside, has been a neighborhood landmark since 1928. Past the graceful arches of the tiled front terrace, a cloistered staircase ascends to the main living level, where west-facing windows frame lovely treetop, bay, bridge and city vistas from nearly every room. Lovingly expanded and renovated over the decades, the modern, open four bedroom, three bath plan includes living room, library, formal dining and handsome kitchen open to office or breakfast alcove, family room and broad rear patio. The generous master suite shares the front view balcony and the rear terrace and spa; two more bedrooms and a hall bathroom complete the main level. Below, a fourth bedroom with bath and separate entrance suggests guest room, office, teen, or au pair lair, while a large and versatile bonus studio/workshop/playroom invites artists, inventors, or play.
- Broad, covered front terrace with views and great space for parties and projects and play
- Curved, cloistered staircase to front door and open foyer
- Large living room with vaulted ceiling, handsome fireplace, and lovely framed bay view
- Adjacent library/den area with door to view balcony
- Open, formal dining area with lighted, mirrored glass shelving
- Custom cook's kitchen in mahogany and Brazilian quartzite, the magnetic hub of this home
- High end appliances, wine fridge, laundry area, breakfast bar
- Family room open to kitchen with gas fireplace flanked by slate and cherry cabinetry
- Charming breakfast or office alcove
- Fine flow to broad, shaded rear patio for al fresco cooking, dining, dancing, hot wheels, hot tub...
- Spacious master retreat with balcony, bay view, dressing room, steam shower, jetted tub, door to gated patio and spa
- Two more generous bedrooms
- Elegant hall bathroom in rich cherry and marble
- Versatile fourth bedroom/bath suite off lower entry terrace
- Large bonus studio/shop/playroom with 220 power and water
- Generous storage area/wine cellar with easy access
- Separate two car garage with 220 auto charger
- Parking for multiple cars on broad circular drive
- Mature, sculptural cactus and azalea gardens, bearing fruit trees
- Great light throughout; ten skylights
- On-demand water heater
- Zoned heating: two furnaces, several electric wall units
- Three fireplaces: one wood-burning, two gas-burning
- Sungevity solar electric system, 2015
- Seismic retrofit 1990s
- Engineered rear retaining wall, 2002
- Engineered front retaining wall, 2016
- Building pad for possible future lift or elevator
- Drip irrigation system front and rear
- 3049 square feet per Open Homes Photography floor plan
- Lot 12,180 square feet, .28 acre, per public record
- Survey and some past plans available
Enjoy the pleasures and conveniences of nearby Montclair Village, its shops and restaurants, banks and post office, Farmer's Market, parades and fairs. Montclair Park, the Montclair Branch of the Oakland Public Library, high-scoring Montclair and Thornhill Elementary Schools, Montclair Swim Club, Thornhill and Broadway Terrace Nurseries and the Village Market are all less than a mile away.
Hop onto Highway 13 for easy freeway access in all directions or walk to the corner for the AC transit bus. The Rockridge BART station and bustling College Avenue are just a short drive down the hill.
Become part of this warm and welcoming and active neighborhood, the Harbord Drive Yahoo and CORE (Communities of Oakland Respond to Emergencies) community.